On this page:
“Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim”
Research Themes Supported
Hull History Centre holds large numbers of collections on subjects related to women. Such collections can aid research into many areas including:
- Equal Pay and Employment
- Women’s Literacy and Education
- Female Household Management
- Female Land Ownership and Marriage
- Female Criminality
- Female Activism
- Women’s Leisure
- Women as Political Activists
Women's records commonly include minutes, reports, court records, photographs, publications, campaign literature, correspondence, diaries, deeds, marriage settlements, recipe and household books.
The following PDF contains a list of HHC collections that may be useful to researchers interested in various aspects of women.
The following material may also be useful when researching this area:
- Newspapers, available on microfilm or via the British Newspaper Archive Online – reporting on contentious topics and events allows exploration of the contextual arguments around a particular issue.