Archives - The Basics
Ever wondered what people mean when they talk about archives?
This guide provides an introduction to the basic concepts surrounding archives and using archival material for research purposes
The following topics are covered: what are archives; archive creators; archival theory; using archives.
Upcoming archives workshops
Find details of our archival skills workshops and how to book on to a session.
Request a 1-2-1 appointment
Want to find archive material for use in your own research or coursework? One of the archivists from Hull University Archives will be happy to chat with you. Email email@example.com to make an appointment.
Related books and eBooks from our collection
The following scholarly journals are dedicated to the development of archival theory and practice. They are available online via the University Library for use by students, researchers and academics.
- Archivaria, published by the Association of Canadian Archivists, 1975-present (ISSN: 0318-6954)
- Journal of the Society of Archivists, published by the Society of Archivists of Great Britain, 1974-2012 (ISSN: 0037-9816)
- Archives and Records, published by the Archives and Records Association of Great Britain, 2013-present (ISSN: 2325-7989)
- American Archivist, published by the Society of American Archivists, 1938-present (EISSN: 2327-9702)
- Archival Science, Springer LINK, 2001-present (ISSN: 1389-0166)
Find and access these journals via Library Search