On this page:
“Reading is my favourite occupation, when I have leisure for it and books to read”
Research Themes Supported
Hull History Centre holds large numbers of collections on subjects related to culture and leisure. Such collections can aid research into many areas including:
- Cultural Regeneration
- Choral and Orchestral Music
- Cricket Clubs and Grounds
- Football Clubs and Stadiums
- Rugby Clubs and Stadiums
- Rowing Clubs
- Swimming Clubs and Baths
- Rambling Societies and Walks
- Parks and Leisure Use of Public Space
- Women’s Leisure
Culture and leisure records commonly include minutes, annual reports, correspondence, membership lists, programmes, ephemeral printed material, photographs, press cuttings.
The following PDF contains a list of HHC collections that may be useful to researchers interested in various aspects of culture and leisure.
The following material may also be useful when researching this area:
- Local Studies and historical maps – these can help trace the development of buildings such as club houses, sports grounds, etc.
- Local newspapers, available on microfilm or via the British Newspaper Archive Online – society formation and meetings, sports results, advertisement of events, etc. are often reported.
- ‘Literature & Drama’ collections – these include material relating to theatre going and acting groups.