On this page:
“If you are losing your leisure, look out! It may be you are losing your soul”
Research Themes Supported
Hull History Centre holds the archival collections of a number of local societies and clubs. Such collections can aid research into many areas including:
- Choral and Orchestral Groups
- Cricket Clubs
- Football Clubs
- Rugby Clubs
- Rowing Clubs
- Swimming Clubs
- Rambling Groups
- Women’s Societies
- Men’s Clubs
- Heritage Preservation Societies
- Literary Groups
Society records commonly include minutes, annual reports, accounts, correspondence, calendars of events, programmes, publicity material, publications, press cuttings, and photographs.
The following PDF contains a list of HHC collections that may be useful to researchers interested in leisure societies.
The following material may also be useful when researching this area:
- Local Studies and historical maps – these can help trace the development of buildings such as club houses, sports grounds, etc.
- Local newspapers, available on microfilm or via the British Newspaper Archive Online – society formation and meetings, sports results, advertisement of events, etc. are often reported.
- ‘Literature & Drama’ collections – these include material relating to theatre groups.
- ‘Politics & Protest’ collections – these include material relating to politically focuses societies and pressure groups.