On this page:
“If you are losing your leisure, look out! It may be you are losing your soul”
Research Themes Supported
Hull History Centre holds the archival collections of a number of local societies and clubs. Such collections can aid research into many areas including:
- Choral and Orchestral Groups
- Cricket Clubs
- Football Clubs
- Rugby Clubs
- Rowing Clubs
- Swimming Clubs
- Rambling Groups
- Women’s Societies
- Men’s Clubs
- Heritage Preservation Societies
- Literary Groups
Typical Record Formats
Society records commonly include minutes, annual reports, accounts, correspondence, calendars of events, programmes, publicity material, publications, press cuttings, and photographs.
The following material may also be useful when researching this area:
- Local Studies and historical maps – these can help trace the development of buildings such as club houses, sports grounds, etc.
- Local newspapers, available on microfilm or via the British Newspaper Archive Online – society formation and meetings, sports results, advertisement of events, etc. are often reported.
- ‘Literature & Drama’ collections – these include material relating to theatre groups.
- ‘Politics & Protest’ collections – these include material relating to politically focuses societies and pressure groups.