On this page:
“The United Metropolitan Improved Hot Muffin and Crumpet Baking and Punctual Delivery Company”
Research Themes Supported
Hull History Centre holds the archival collections of a number of local businesses. Such collections can aid research into many areas including:
- Shipping Companies
- Engineering and Manufacturing Firms
- Solicitors and Land Agents
- Organ builders
- Paint Manufacturers
- Oil and Cake Millers
- Timber Merchants
There are also records to support research into small businesses such as restaurants, grocers, jewellers, fish product merchants, butchers, and undertakers.
Typical Record Formats
Business records commonly include minutes, accounts, administrative correspondence, annual reports, articles of association, trust deeds, publications, publicity material and photographs.
The following collections have significant research potential in the area of business records:
The following PDF contains a list of HHC collections that may be useful to researchers interested in businesses.
- Source Guide Businesses List of collections created by businesses at HHC
Additional supporting material
The following material may also be useful when researching this area:
- Local Authority records covering licensing, apprenticeships, regulation of commercial activities.
- Landed families and estates records, which often contain information about the business activities of the landed elites.
- Annual trade directories, which can be useful in tracing the location of particular businesses.