On this page:
“When in that House M.P.'s divide, If they've a brain and cerebellum, too, They've got to leave that brain outside, And vote just as their leaders tell 'em to”
Members of Parliament
Research Themes Supported
Hull History Centre holds the archival collections of a number of members of parliament, usually with a local connection to the area or the University of Hull. Such collections can aid research into many areas including:
- Careers of Individual MPs
- Interaction Between Constituency Politics and National Politics
- Elections and Election Campaigning
- Parliamentary Inquiries and Committees
Typical Record Formats
MPs records commonly include election campaign and publicity material, constituency correspondence, committee papers such as minutes and reports, drafts of speeches, press cuttings, interviews, and personal papers such as photographs, diaries and autobiography drafts.
The following PDF contains a list of HHC collections that may be useful to researchers interested in Members of Parliament and political parties.
- Source Guide Members of Parliament List of collections created by Members of Parliament at HHC
Additional supporting material
The following material may also be useful when researching this area:
- Newspapers, which often contain reports and interviews relating individual MPs, representatives of political parties, opinions on a hot political topic, and commentary on parliamentary activities./li>