Skip to main content

Help LibGuides

Copyright: Licensing your own content

Copyright legislation and licences relating to academic practice.

Who owns the copyright?

If your work has been created in the course of your employment (e.g. writing a journal article, preparing teaching materials),  English law grants copyright to your employer. 

The University of Hull's Research & Enterprise Office advises University staff that they are permitted to sign agreements to publish and copyright transfer arrangements on behalf of their employer.  

Further information for University of Hull staff about Intellectual Property.


Copyright in work you create as a University of Hull student will normally belong to you,  although there are exceptions (University of Hull Student Contract 2018-19).

Licensing your content

If you want to share your material openly, it is still important to manage your copyright in terms of what you will allow other people to do with it.  You can release your material with a licence which makes your terms of use explicit. One of the most commonly used licensing schemes is Creative Commons, recognised internationally.

Choose a License

CC License