On this page:
"Not enough people know how great OneNote really is and how much it can help you organize your life."
When thinking of the Microsoft Office suite, most people overlook OneNote. OneNote is an incredibly powerful digital notebook that works on Android, Apple and Microsoft tablets and computers. This allows you to access all of your notes across all of your devices.
Staff and students at the University of Hull can download OneNote as part of Office 365 for free (for Windows, macOS and mobile devices). Just visit the Support Portal and search ‘Office 365’.
With OneNote, you are not just limited to typed or handwritten notes. You can add images, sound, video, scans, photographs and attachments into any of your notes. This lets you keep all of your lecture notes in one place, organised into different notebooks, sections and pages.
- You can search across all of your notes - even handwritten notes.
- The Office Lens app works with OneNote, letting you take photos of anything and digitally add them to your OneNote. It will automatically detect edges of screens, boards or sheets of paper, letting you group irrelevant bits of any photo out.
- Unlike other note taking apps, OneNote integrates across the whole office suite. You can link notes to Outlook tasks, insert Excel spreadsheets or Visio drawings directly into a note or even create a note linked to a Word document.
- OneNote is also great for group work too. You can share a notebook between members of your group and everyone can edit it in real-time.
- Microsoft OneNote can be downloaded free on any device. Notes are stored on your OneDrive so the only limits are your storage space (this is a free 1TB with your university 365 account).