On this page:
“The research process, particularly the data entry and data analysis stages, always takes longer than expected, so allow plenty of time for this”
IBM® SPSS® Statistics offers rich statistical capabilities paired with features that make it easier to access and manage data, select and perform analyses and share results.
SPSS Statistics supports the entire analytical process. It helps people validate assumptions faster, guiding them in using the right statistical capability at the right time. It also gives analysts flexible access to powerful analytical techniques, whatever their level of expertise.
Staff and students at the University of Hull can download IBM SPSS Statistics for free (for Windows, macOS and Linux). Just visit the Support Portal and search ‘IBM SPSS’.
(Sign in required and confirmation that you are using it for academic purposes.)
Getting started with IBM SPSS Statistics - video resources
It is useful to think about how you intend to use SPSS before you start collecting and inputting data. Forethought into the research process can help you collect and input data in the best format for SPSS. As a complicated program, it is recommended that as well as watching these video tutorials, you consult the books or resources recommended on this page to help you with underlying decision making. You should also consult your supervisor regarding any analysis to ensure you are using best practice for your discipline.
All our video resources are available on our online alternative to the Using IBM SPSS for Surveys workshop page.
This is our go-to site for anything related to statistics and SPSS. It has an excellent statistical test selector and easy to follow step-by-step guidance to show how to carry each test out in SPSS.
Whilst it is not free, student pricing is only £5.99 for three months so it can be an excellent investment during the data analysis stage of your research project.
This is an excellent resource covering all aspects of statistics and probability. It is not about SPSS but can help you understand the principles behind the tests you are using.
IBM Knowledge Center
This links to the tutorials page of IBM's support pages. You may also find the Case Studies link useful too.
Andy Fields' Video Playlist
To compliment his best selling book (see the Recommended books list) Andy produced a series of videos. This is the link to the full playlist.
- Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics by Lecturers/instructors - request a free digital inspection copy here With a little help from his weird band of characters the Fourth Edition of the award-winning book continues, with its unique blend of humour and collection of bizarre examples, to bring statistics - from first principles to advanced concepts - well and truly to life using IBM SPSS Statistics. Lecturers: with WebAssign® you can manage and monitor your students′ progress quickly and easily online or give them more opportunities to practise! Ideal for short courses, choose to use WebAssign® alongside the Fourth Edition of Andy Field′s textbook to quickly set up courses and schedule assignments (using the 2159 questions available) and track individual performance so you can spot in an instant where more instruction or practice is needed. If not using for fomal assessment, WebAssign® still lets you set questions for your students to practise over and over again. They get instant feedback and also links to the relevant chapter or section in the integral ebook to help them work out the correct solution. For more information on how to integrate WebAssign® into a forthcoming course or to arrange a class test please contact your local SAGE representative for more details. (Students please note: access to WebAssign® is dependent not only on the purchase of a student access code (ISBN: 9781446273043) but also a username, institution code and password supplied by your course leader/instructor). SAGE MobileStudy - study where and when you likeScan any QR code within the book to access revision material on a smartphone or tablet such as Cramming Sam′s Study tips, flashcard glossaries, interactive multiple choice questionnaires and more. Click here to take a look (if you′re accessing the site from a desktop you′ll be taken to the Companion Website instead; look out for the MobileStudy icon to show you which pages are also available on the MobileStudy site). See how Andy′s book is changing the landscape for textbooks through the use of technology! Support materials for a wide range of disciplinesEducation and Sport Sciences lecturer support materials with enhanced ones for Psychology, Business and Management and the Health Sciences on the enhanced Companion Website make the book even more relevant to a wider range of subjects across the social sciences and where statistics is taught to a cross-disciplinary audience. Other major new updates include: Now fully compatible with recent IBM SPSS Statistics releases. Two new characters! Statistical cult leader Oditi provides students with access to video clips via his Lantern to help further understanding of statistical/SPSS concepts, while Confusius helps students to make better sense of statistical terms. The enhanced Companion Website offers plenty of lecturer and student material to use in conjunction with the textbook. These include PowerPoints and subject-specific testbanks for lecturers as well as answers to the Smart Alex tasks at the end of the each chapter; datafiles for testing problems in SPSS; flashcards of key concepts; self-assessment multiple-choice questions; and online videos of key statistical and SPSS procedures discussed in the textbook for students. Video Links Go behind the scenes of the Fourth Edition, and find out about the man behind the book Watch Andy introduce SAGE MobileStudy Ask Andy Anything: Teaching stats... and Robbie Williams′ head Ask Andy Anything: Gibson or Fender Ask Andy Anything: The one part of the book Andy hated writing Available with Perusall--an eBook that makes it easier to prepare for classPerusall is an award-winning eBook platform featuring social annotation tools that allow students and instructors to collaboratively mark up and discuss their SAGE textbook. Backed by research and supported by technological innovations developed at Harvard University, this process of learning through collaborative annotation keeps your students engaged and makes teaching easier and more effective. Learn more.ISBN: 9781446249185Publication Date: 2013-01-24
- Doing Quantitative Research in Education with SPSS [eBook] by This accessible and authoritative introduction is essential for education students and researchers needing to use quantitative methods for the first time. Using datasets from real-life educational research and avoiding the use of mathematical formulae, the author guides students through the essential techniques that they will need to know, explaining each procedure using the latest version of SPSS. The datasets can also be downloaded from the book's website, enabling students to practice the techniques for themselves. This revised and updated second edition now also includes more advanced methods such as log linear analysis, logistic regression, and canonical correlation. Written specifically for those with no prior experience of quantitative research, this book is ideal for education students and researchers in this field.ISBN: 9781446210147Publication Date: 2010-12-30
- Using SPSS by This practical book can be used as a supplementary text or as a self-help guide through which the reader can learn to use SPSS on their own, and at their own pace. The book covers descriptive statistics, inferential statistics, and building graphsISBN: 9781412995153Publication Date: 2011-07-14
- SPSS Survival Manual by "This is the 'must have' book for anyone who wants to use SPSS." Julia Robertson, University of Buckinghamshire, UK "An excellent introduction to using SPSS for data analysis ...It provides a self-contained resource, with more than simply (detailed and clear) step by step descriptions of statistical procedures in SPSS." Associate Professor George Dunbar, University of Warwick, UK "The book provides a no nonsense approach to understanding SPSS. With step by step explanations to carrying out data analysis it is a welcome addition to any social science student." Gail Steptoe Warren, University of Coventry, UK "Doing statistics is just like following a cooking recipe, you have to do it step by step. This book offers just that, a step by step guide to all of the main statistics you need to learn ...It has become a must havego-to reference text for established researchers and students alike " Alison Attrill, De Montfort University, UK The SPSS Survival Manual throws a lifeline tostudents and researchers grappling with this powerfuldata analysis software. In her bestselling guide, now covering up to version 21 of the SPSS software, Julie Pallant guides you through the entire research process, helping you choose the rightdata analysis technique for your project. From the formulation of research questions, to the design of the study and analysis of data, to reporting the results, Julie discusses basic and advanced statistical techniques. She outlines each technique clearly, with step by step procedures for performing the analysis, a detailed guide to interpreting data output and an example of how to present the results in a report. For both beginners and experienced users in psychology, sociology, health sciences, medicine, education, business and related disciplines, the SPSS Survival Manualis an essential text. Illustrated with screen grabs, examples of output and tips, it is supported by a website with sample data and guidelines on report wriISBN: 9780335262588Publication Date: 2013-08-01
- Using Statistics in the Social and Health Sciences with SPSS and Excel [eBook] by Provides a step-by-step approach to statistical procedures to analyze data and conduct research, with detailed sections in each chapter explaining SPSS® and Excel® applications This book identifies connections between statistical applications and research design using cases, examples, and discussion of specific topics from the social and health sciences. Researched and class-tested to ensure an accessible presentation, the book combines clear, step-by-step explanations for both the novice and professional alike to understand the fundamental statistical practices for organizing, analyzing, and drawing conclusions from research data in their field. The book begins with an introduction to descriptive and inferential statistics and then acquaints readers with important features of statistical applications (SPSS and Excel) that support statistical analysis and decision making. Subsequent chapters treat the procedures commonly employed when working with data across various fields of social science research. Individual chapters are devoted to specific statistical procedures, each ending with lab application exercises that pose research questions, examine the questions through their application in SPSS and Excel, and conclude with a brief research report that outlines key findings drawn from the results. Real-world examples and data from social and health sciences research are used throughout the book, allowing readers to reinforce their comprehension of the material. Using Statistics in the Social and Health Sciences with SPSS® and Excel® includes: Use of straightforward procedures and examples that help students focus on understanding of analysis and interpretation of findings Inclusion of a data lab section in each chapter that provides relevant, clear examples Introduction to advanced statistical procedures in chapter sections (e.g., regression diagnostics) and separate chapters (e.g., multiple linear regression) for greater relevance to real-world research needs Emphasizing applied statistical analyses, this book can serve as the primary text in undergraduate and graduate university courses within departments of sociology, psychology, urban studies, health sciences, and public health, as well as other related departments. It will also be useful to statistics practitioners through extended sections using SPSS® and Excel® for analyzing data.ISBN: 9781119121053Publication Date: 2016-07-22
- Statistics without maths for psychology byISBN: 9781292128894Publication Date: 2017-04-21
Andy Field’s Datasets: Download this dataset to access all of the files from Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics 4th Edition.
Links to Health Datasets: Download this Word (™) file containing links to health datasets available online.
Links to Business Datasets: Download this Word (™) file containing links to business datasets available online.
Links to Sport Science Datasets: Download these datasets related to the Sport Science Testbank questions.