Exams & revision
The aim of exams is to inform others, as well as you, about the standard of your work. Unless there was some form of recognised standard, qualifications would lose their validity. Formal exams are objective, as the assessors use the same criteria for judging all candidates.
Since exams have to be faced, this guide hopes to help reduce some of the problems they pose by giving you ways to make revision more effective and strategies to employ on the day.
Revising more effectively video workshop
We have produced an online, interactive video workshop that you can work through at your own pace. To find out more information about what it covers and how to get access, click or tap here:
Revising more effectively video workshop
We have two, single page printable guides with our top tips for revision and examinations.
Click/tap on the links above or the images below to download the PDFs.
Related books and eBooks from our collection
- 14 Days to Exam Success by This hands-on, supportive guide steers students through a 14-day revision programme, showing them how to make the most of the time available to them to maximise results. Based on tried and tested revision techniques, it shows students how to tackle common revision and exam challenges through worked examples and practical exercises. Chapters are packed with top tips on key aspects of exam preparation and contain checklists to keep students on track. Concise and engaging, this is an essential companion for all students preparing for exams, on degree and pre-degree courses.ISBN: 0230249108Publication Date: 2010-07-21
- The Exam Skills Handbook by Provides an easy-to-follow set of strategies and techniques that build to a plan for achieving your best possible exam performance. It gives practical step-by-step guidance in long-term planning for optimal performance through to last minute revision strategies. This fully updated, two-colour edition includes two brand new chapters.ISBN: 0230358543Publication Date: 2012-02-22
- How to Pass Exams [eBook] - print book also available by This book provides everything students will need to prepare for and perform well in all types of university assessment and examination.ISBN: 0273713590Publication Date: 2007-09-01
- Make Exams Easy by This text provides advice on achieving success in exams and covers a set of critical tools, techniques and approaches which aim to boost skills and confidence. The book offers guidance on key preparation, planning and revision methods which can be applied to all levels of exam.ISBN: 1857036212Publication Date: 2004-01-01
- Sail Through Exams! by "A good read. The clear explanations of how to prepare for exams and ways to choose and answer questions are practical and useful." BA Geography student "Relevant for exams and how I should approach my studies. It was easy to synthesize the information given - and comforting! My problems don't seem unique to me any more." MSc Management student This lively, concise and to-the-point guide offers hints and practical suggestions to help you develop good exam-preparation skills and build your confidence, so that you can get results that do justice to the work you've put in. How to use past exam papers How to decode difficult-to-understand exam questions How to structure top-quality answers How to revise effectively How to get in the right frame of mind for exams How to do your best on the day A must for every student preparing for traditional exams!ISBN: 0335215769Publication Date: 2004-09-01
- The student's guide to exam success [eBook] by "The most life-enhancing publication to come my way in a very long time ... a revelation" - Nathalie Wheen on "Classic FM". "a saviour ... Read in one day ... it works! Ever felt spiralling into a black hole? This book will awaken the passion you once had for your studies - it's there, you just can't feel it ... until the first few lines of Chapter 1. Turn a nightmare back to your dream - and realise it". - Student on "Amazon". Exams frighten almost everyone. Fear of failure (and even of success) can make even the most able students struggle with coursework, revision and exams. Most study guides overlook these powerful underlying emotions. Unique in allaying the anxieties that cause people to procrastinate, go blank, swot pointlessly or underperform, this book can change your attitude and help you break free: understand your fears; stop panicking and start enjoying your work; and develop a balanced mental approach to your exams. In addition, it offers a wealth of grade-boosting tips: devise a revision strategy that works; write powerful essays; learn how to speed-read; create effective notes and mind-maps; and remember what you learn.ISBN: 9780335230297Publication Date: 2006