Finding quality journal articles for postgraduates
The Library subscribes to a wide range of databases which you can use to find quality journal articles. These databases spread across a number of subject disciplines and this session will look at multidisciplinary as well as subject-specific resources.
The Library subscribes to a wide range of databases which you can use to find quality journal articles. The databases available via the Library spread across a number of subject disciplines and this session will focus on multidisciplinary as well as subject-specific resources.
The workshop will provide an opportunity to develop the search techniques you will need to be able to perform your searches effectively, providing the necessary skills to find quality journal articles.
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Identify key search terms by using appropriate keywords and concepts
- Apply different search techniques, e.g. phrase searching, Boolean operators, truncation, and wildcards
- Be able to identify the most appropriate databases for your subject discipline
- Conduct an advanced search for journal articles in one or more databases
- Limit and filter searches accordingly to narrow or broaden results
- Sort and manipulate the results set and subsequently save, export or print relevant results
Who this workshop is for
Ideal for postgraduate students who need to find quality journal articles. Students from across all disciplines will benefit from attending this workshop.
This workshop is run by an Academic & Library Specialist from the Brynmor Jones Library Skills Team.
Work your way through the videos in the order provided then try the suggested activities beneath each one.
Video 1: Finding quality journal articles for PG: Tips and techniques
Activity: After watching the video think about your own research topic and what key terms you will use to search with. Also consider if you can apply the search techniques to your own terms such as truncation, phrase searching and alternative terms.
Video 2: Finding quality journal articles for PG: Searching Library databases [EBSCOhost & Web of Science]
Activity: After watching the video go to your own subject databases and try applying the search techniques from video 1 to your own databases to find materials for your own topic areas.
- Referencing softwareTo see how to export your journal article references into either Refworks or Endnote, please see these pages for further support.
Additional support for Health Sciences
Searching within Health Sciences, particularly nursing, requires a very systematic way of searching. An additional video workshop has been created aimed at final year undergraduates or postgraduates which may be of further help.