This is a list of tools and websites that you may find useful in your studies and just generally.
My study bar (free ware, can be downloaded and used anywhere, windows pc only)
- organise and plan your thoughts and ideas
- use colour overlays to aid concentration and overcome visual stress
- listen to digital content read aloud using text-to-speech
- improve typing skills
Read and Write
Read and Write paid software available on campus machines
- Hear web pages and documents read aloud to improve reading comprehension, with choice of natural voices
- Understand unfamiliar words with text and picture dictionaries
- Develop writing skills with word prediction
- Support independent student research with valuable study skills tools
- Offers bilingual support for a growing number of languages
Visit read and write site
tool / extension used to spell check, check grammar
- There is a free version
- Easy to download an extension for your web browser (all major browsers are supported)
- Automatic errors detection
- Basic grammar and spell checks
- Vocabulary enhancement suggestions
Anayze the readability of something you have written.
- paste your text into the site and it will analyse the readability for you
- useful for essays or blogs
- provides a breakdown of stronger and weaker sentences / structures.
- Allows you to take a snippet from your current screen and save it as an image.
- Simple to use tool, with very simple image manipulation to highlight or label areas.
Should come as standard on windows, hit your windows key and begin typing snipping tool and it should pop up.
More on Snipping Tool
Computational knowledge engine.
- Useful website for mathematical knowledge and algorithms
- Particularly of use for those interested in or studying computer science, mathematics, physics and engineering.
Website for creating interactive presentations
- Provides a creative platform for presenting something
- Easy to use
- Free version still offers some customisation
Revision tool, make you own revision cards
- Apps available for ios / android as well as web based
- Create your own revision cards then test yourself
- There are also some pre-made decks that may come in handy (but they tend to be simplistic)
Allows you to share your screen or give control of your computer to someone else
- Could be useful during group projects.
- Cast your screen to someone or allow them to take remote access of your device
- Free for personal use